expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 19 September 2011

banana loaf


It is a truth universally acknowledged - that a house in possession of a kiddie or two must be in want of a few banana recipes.

Even if you don't like bananas, as soon as you add children to the mix, they become a part of your regular shopping list. The nature of babies, toddlers and children is changeable. One day there is not enough food in the world to fill them and the next it seems that they can live on air, so there is sometimes a banana backlog of varying degrees of over-ripe blackness.

You can, of course, freeze them. But I seem to be able to use them up as they occur and it is a result of this one magically easy recipe. It takes no time to make, washing up is minimal and I have yet to encounter anyone who does not like it. It can be eaten plain or dressed up with more bananas, maple syrup, toffee or chocolate sauce and a dollop of creme fraiche.


Ingredients
2 overipe bananas
170g caster sugar
170g self raising flour
170g butter (soft)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Method
Pre heat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
Put everything into a food processor and blend until well mixed.
Pour into the tin and bake for 1 hour. 
Cool, slice and enjoy!


17 comments:

  1. Love your photography, Ann Marie, I'll be trying the banana loaf too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree - banana bread or muffins go over very well around here. Lovely photo. Looks very moist and easy enough for a non-baker to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Colette. It's a great little 'everyday' recipe. We all need a few of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Banana breads are quite new into Polish cuisine, but I love them. Lately I was doing one from Sophie Dahl recipe, it was amazing. Yours looks very nice and the recipe is so simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, looks delicious, muffins and banana bread are regularly made here, think I'll give your recipe a go today :)
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so true about kids and bananas! My 3-year-old son is going through a phase of being more interested in playing than eating, and I kid you not when I say he can go a whole weekend eating little more than milk and a banana. We're big fans of banana bread in my family too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love recipes where you just throw everything in a bowl and end up with something delicious! I'm not a great banana fan but even I think this looks great. Your recent photos have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to worry when the eldest daughter did that, Kristin, but by the time the second one was two I had come round to the Irish mammy attitude 'Ah sure, she's not going to starve'

    Thanks Kathryn, I really appreciate that! I was so jelous of your 'foodgawker' button on your blog that I could not rest till I had been accepted too. Food Blog Photo Envy (FBPE) is a terrible condition and there should be more help available for sufferers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prettiest banana bread -- ever! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy. i always bake banana bread a little different. but i'll try that. looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The banana loaf looks great, really nice and appealing, love the first photo.. so mouth watering. Such a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always buy extra bananas so I'll have some left over for baking...and this recipe looks amazing. Love that it's all made in one bowl! Gorgeous pics too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so much nicer than the banana cake I make, I will try your recipe the next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEST BANANA CAKE RECIPE EVER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you - it is very dependable.

      Delete
  15. Made this banana loaf this evening with my little girl, it is awesome......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feed back, Vimbikai. It's a keeper alright - couldnt be simpler and always comes out right :)

      Delete

Say hi, don't be shy!