expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 14 May 2012

double chocolate salt caramel brownies...


Call me mad, but I love salt! Artisan salt, that is, not the big tubs of Saxa. I go out of my way to get my Fleur de Sel and Maldon and so I was delighted when I found a new Irish one from the Beara Peninsula in West Cork. Irish Atlantic Salt, made from evaporated seawater, is 100% pure, brilliantly white and has lovely flaky sea salt crystals. To celebrate this find, I made a batch of these bad boys - a chewy brownie with a thick cocoa-caramel layer and a sprinkle of flakey sea salt just for good measure. They have a thousand million calories in every square, but the salt is Irish, so they are totally worth it.



Double Chocolate Salt Caramel Brownies

The Brownie
450g dark chocolate chopped
140g butter
350g brown sugar
4 eggs
110g plain flour

The Chocolate caramel
220g butter
175g dark brown sugar
250g golden syrup
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1 tablespoon cocoa sifted


Preheat the oven to 160C and place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted and smooth, set aside. Place the sugar eggs and flour in a bowl with the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Pour into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 40-45 mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in tin.

To make the caramel topping, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Gradually whisk in the sugar until well combined. Add the golden syrup, condensed milk and salt and increase the heat to high. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring continuously or until thickened - whichever happens first. Remove from the heat and stir through the cocoa powder. Sprinkle the top evenly with a little bit more of the salt flakes at this stage. Refrigerate for two hours or until set and cut into squares.

The original recipe that this was adapted from says to cut into twelve but I think even for a generous dessert portion this is far too big. It is very dense and rich so even cutting into 16 will give you a very generous portion, 20 more elegant portions may be better. Served with a spoon of good ice-cream and a handful of toasted nuts it makes a lovely, decadent dessert.

Cut into very tiny squares and covered in a few cheerful sprinkles they make a pretty petit four as shown in the pictures.


30 comments:

  1. Yummo! Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look Wonderful!! I live in the States where could I get some of this salt, here??

      Delete
  2. Blimey! Those look like some serious brownies :-) That thick caramel is completely insane, but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always too lazy to bake things with two layers but am very tempted by that salt and sugar combination. If you cut them into 20 that'll be 10 for you and 10 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make this salted caramel. Actually, it doesn't sound to tricky to make. The idea of using it as topping for a brownie is so delightful and decadent it has to be tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy, I wear full body armor while making it as I fear the sugar burns almost as much as the deep-fat fryer!

      Delete
  5. These are absolutely gorgeous! I can only imagine how luscious they are! Your photography is so inviting! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So if you give ten to you and ten to Mise how many does that leave for me? Mise is the math whizz ... I will let her figure that out.....in the meantime, I will come over and have tea. Soon. Before the pink sparkly bits are all picked off the tops of the caramel squares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, are thoose for Real!! I must try this. Very Nice photos and recepies, I'd already bookmarked 17! Have a Nice Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I drop over here, the only word I have is 'wow'. So here we are again. WOW! They look seriously good! Love the cute Barbie sprinkles too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your visit and yes! They are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Similar to corn syrup, and thick like honey - you can make your own, heres some instructions on how.

      http://browncookieblog.blogspot.ie/2011/11/how-to-make-golden-syrup.html

      Delete
  11. Does anyone have the American measurements for this recipe? It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I was looking for too-the American measurements. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. These look heavenly and I am making them right now. Do you cool the caramel topping before spreading on brownies or spread it while still warm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spread while still warm so you get a nice even spread :)

      Delete
  13. Just made this recipe and it was a hit with my family and peers! Although I did use regular corn syrup instead of golden syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, please! I just pinned this and will try it asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks beautiful and delish! Will attempt this weekend! Do you know if the lovely Irish salt is available in the States yet? I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are the most amazing things I have ever made. Great recipe! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is golden syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden syrup is like the American corn syrup but quite a lot thicker like honey :-)

      Delete

Say hi, don't be shy!